Forum » General Topics » Master bait and switch, let's talk eating

July 18, 2017, 7:34 pm
ShamelessFlirt

Newcomer
Master bait and switch, let's talk eating

OK, recipes! Have a favorite dish? Secret sauce? Simply can't decide what you're going to eat tonight? Ingredient have you vexed?
Post it here.

July 20, 2017, 11:00 pm
ShamelessFlirt

Newcomer
Re: Master bait and switch, let's talk eating

Bacon wrapped pork loin

Ingredients: 

3lb pork loin
1 Jar Jalapeno gold (http://batesnutfarm.biz/i-10293090-jalapeno-gold-original...)
1 pkg cream cheese
Beazels Cajun seasoning (http://www.beazells.com/index.php?option=com_content...)
Tony's if you can't get Beazells (http://shop.tonychachere.com/original-creole-seasoning...)
1lb bacon
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ginger paste

Ditrctions:

Butterfly a 3lb pork loin (this also works well with halved boneless chicken thighs)
generously rub the loin with creole seasoning (Baezels is best, Tonys is a
decent Substitute but saltier). 

Then line the center of the loin with some of the jalapeño Jelly and cream cheese
(Room temp! And NOT to the edges) garlic and ginger.

Roll the loin into a log with the creamcheese/jalapeño in the center

Lay bacon down on a pan first (over lapping each piece to create a lattice) 
transfer the loin onto the bacon and flip all the other bacon to where it's
overlapping on the top, seam side of the loin down.

Grill on charcoal using indirect heat until the thickest part of the loin
registers 145

I have pictures, just don't know how to hotlink them
July 19, 2017, 1:41 pm
ShamelessFlirt

Newcomer

You like it soft? I would bet you never imagined those words would cross your lips!

The bacon fat is meant to be used to impart bacon flavor to something, like eggs or grilled cheese. Sparingly (I sometimes combine fats, like oil and butter to change not only the flavor but smoke point) though you could also use it in a vinaigrette. It's not the healthiest alternative but it imparts a ton of flavor without having to make additional bacon.
July 19, 2017, 12:26 pm
Sensual Sharon

Intermediate

That seems very unhealthy to willingly eat bacon fat. I only eat bacon a few times a yr, if that, and blot it with paper towel before I eat it. That kind of fat is much worse for you than butter! I'd never put bacon fat on anything.

I don't drink coffee, but like Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream very much, I like to let ice cream sit out for at least 20-30 min before eating it, I like it soft much better.
July 19, 2017, 11:59 am
ShamelessFlirt

Newcomer

I'll look for your blog, thought no one started a thread like this though I admit I didn't look too hard.  Here's 2 simple hacks you might find useful

simple fast food trick for the summer, since I'm in the states and we don't have decent coffee I like to get a shake from Wendys or Arbys and mix it with a cup of black coffee. Not low calorie, but tasty.

This is one of my favorite kitchen hacks. If you're like me and you love bacon, after you cook it reserve the grease. When it cools, but before it solidifies pour it into a zip top bag and hang it on the freezer. When it hardens, you get a stick of bacon fat you can use like butter. The other half of my bacon trick is to cook it on a cookie sheet in the oven rather than frying on the stove top.
July 19, 2017, 8:25 am
Sensual Sharon

Intermediate

LOL, hey, you might like my cooking blog, though I haven't had time to add to it in a while, letsgetcookinwithsharon.com
July 19, 2017, 5:59 am
ShamelessFlirt

Newcomer

Here's an easy recipe for Thai peanut sauce commonly served on chicken sate. I've even used it over pasta similar to Chinese sesame noodles. Keep in mind this is Thai peanut sauce, which differs from the Chinese and Indian versions.

INGREDIENTS
1 1" piece ginger, peeled
1 small garlic clove
1 (13- or 14-ounce can) coconut milk, light or regular
3-4 tablespoons red curry paste (Adjust according to how spicy you want the sauce)
1/2 cup natural unsweetened creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon (packed) light brown sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar or rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/3 - 1/2 cup water

PREPARATION
In a running blender, drop ginger and garlic clove and blend until finely chopped. Add peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, red curry paste, coconut milk, vinegar, sesame oil and 1/3 cup water and blend, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if needed to thin, until smooth.

Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often so it doesn’t scorch, for 2-3 minutes.

You have to be logged in to reply!